TOFD requires access to both sides of the weld, typically on the OD surface and can be performed on ferrous and non-ferrous alloys and on non-metallic materials, depending on their acoustic transmission capabilities.
The processed results are presented as picture of a vertical slice through the weld that is similar to a B-scan in conventional ultrasonic. The software displays the TOFD data and shear wave results together in a strip chart. Scan lengths are measured by an encoder and the scan images are labelled accordingly. This allows for easy reference and repeatability of future inspections. The data file created is accessible at any time for additional analysis or reference. Test results are interpreted in accordance with current specifications and/or customer requirements.
Advantages of TOFD :
- Full record of examined weld sections in A-Scan, B-Scan, C-Scan, D-Scan and TOFD Scan presentation. Storage of full examination results.
- Real Time vision on quality of welds by the operator during examination.
- Accuracy in sizing the through thickness dimensions.
- High sensitivity in detecting planar, vertical or oriented defects like cracks or lack of fusion not visible by radiography and hardly to detect by standard ultrasonic pulse echo technique. For these reasons ASME Code with the Code Case 2235 has permitted to perform on pressure vessel welds TOFD examination in lieu of radiography.
- Full control on contact effectiveness and coverage by examining the TOFD map in any time after the examination.
- Supervision of the examination in the dynamic way as during the scanning on your PC in the office or far away the job.
Due to its sensitivity and sizing accuracy, TOFD is also an excellent tool for in-service material and flaw monitoring. We have experience in planning, managing and carrying out TOFD on pre-service and in-service projects. We can advise and develop TOFD procedures and have specialist scanning equipment for carrying out inspections.
- Infrared Thermography
- Remote Visual Inspection
- Thickness Mapping of Boiler Tubes
- Time of Flight Diffraction (TOFD)
- Ultrasonic Phased Array
- Ultrasonic Flaw Detection
- Recordable UT
- Ultrasonic Thickness Gauging
- High Temperature Gauging
- Oxide Scale Measurement
- Magnetic Particle Inspection
- Liquid Penetrant Testing
- Onsite Hardness Testing
- Coating Thickness Measurement
- Material Sorting & Tube Testing